Confession time: I'm slacking. Hard. I'm still working on this 20 Days of challenge partially out of laziness, and partially out of me wanting to avoid some subjects. Well, *puts on big girl pants* let's get into it, shall we?
There are many, many things that I miss from the pre-Cataclysm era. Some of the changes brought about were Deathwing's doing, some were mechanical, and others were just socially inevitable I suppose. Lists. I must do this in a list. It's the only way I can think to bring order to this topic for me.
- I miss the days where I was able to PuG a 25 man raid with some success. I long for the days to be an anonymous DPSer who would just get a raid invite and claw some faces off.
- I miss my guild. I do not necessarily miss the responsibility, stress, or drama, but I do miss being surrounded by a rather dependable community. Ever since I had to leave WoW for a bit and things fell apart with that guild I've been a tad bit lost.
- I long for the heroic grind to no longer feel like a heroic feat once again. I love the fact that Blizzard upped the difficulty levels for heroics, I really do, but at the same time I hate leaving a heroic absolutely drained. In Wrath I was able to put my game face on and was able to get through multiple heroics in a day and still have enough energy to raid. In Cataclysm I go through one heroics and I'm more or less tapped. Granted, heroics on my druid have been much more forgiving than on my poor shaman and I'm able to run several more heroics at a go on the kitty, but I'm still left feeling incredibly tapped out. As a once chronic raider, I feel a great urge to get through my heroics, gear up, and to make my characters look statistically pretty. As things are now, even with the changes I'm having a very difficult time making my weekly VP cap for heroics on the druid alone, let alone both of my mains. This makes me a very sad shaman/druid.
- I miss Dalaran. While it was laggy as hell, I loved /dancing with the Horde folk, hanging in the sewers with my peeps, and the convenience of the portals.
- I miss the confidence to not only raid, but raid as a melee. Those of us who prefer to smell the farts of bosses seemed to have really received the short end of the stick with Cataclysm mechanics (not only for raiding, but heroics kind of suck as well for us) and it has made me even more hesitant to try and step back into the raiding scene. Granted I have a lot of other anxieties regarding raiding - I have some ocd-like issues when it comes to my damage output and where I lay on the meters on top of my general "gah people" issues - so really I'm just at an awkward turtle stage. I was comfortable with how Wrath ran, and I'm not so comfortable with how Cataclysm is. Things are how they are, but I really do miss that comfort and the confidence that naturally comes with that sense of comfort.
- I miss a lot of the random personalities that I've had the joy of running content with. Many of those personalities have either moved to different guilds/servers, discontinued logging in to WoW for a wide variety of reasons, or have parted this world all together. While I'm grateful for having had the opportunity to get to know those personalities on some level, I still miss them!
There are of course many many other small things that I miss from the pre-Cataclysm era, some of which are minor details like certain little hidden areas being removed or certain NPCs switching location or being removed all together (generally I do love the area revamps though) but those mentioned above I think are the bigger ones for me. Especially that bit about /dancing with the members of the Horde. I always loved dancing with the Tauren folk!