Saturday, September 17, 2011

Play A Little Song For Me

It's been a while again since I've done up a shared topic from Blog Azeroth. I decided since I want to try and get back into the groove of things around here, I'd participate in this week's topic instead of doing a belated Hoarders post. For those of you wanting a new Hoarders: Azeroth Edition post, I promise that there will be one this coming Thursday. If there isn't, you can hold my beloved baby moonkin for ransom, or something.  

~A warning before we get into this too far - Some of the links/videos shared here will have explicit lyrics. If you're reading/listening to this post at work, beware!~

This week's topic is presented to us by the ever lovely Saga from Spellbound.

The WoW in-game music is awesome, but there are times (at least for me) when I'm listening to my own music instead. Are there any specific songs that you connect with WoW? Whether it's tied to your own characters in some way or simply because it reminds you of WoW. Please share!

I'm definitely one of those creatures who finds a song/album/artist that they like and will listen to said song/album/artist until they can no longer stand the sound of it. Because of this habit I often end up ingraining certain songs or artists to different scenarios, mainly video games. I have to admit that anytime I hear anything off of Creed's Human Clay album, more specifically What If, I tend to flash back to my days of playing Pokemon Red and Blue on my Gameboy Color. I was an Eevee fanatic and my Jolteon could rock your world.

Oh, this is about WoW? Right.


Back in the days when I was still leveling Saz, I started getting into this thing called Shpongle. I had mentioned this to a friend of mine, along with mentioning the fact that it was a pain to try and get a full album by these guys. He came through with a copy of Nothing Lasts...But Nothing Is Lost for me within a week or so. At the time I was working my way through Zangarmarsh and this album was on nonstop repeat for the entirety of the zone. One song in particular got more play than the whole rest of the album though, as is common for me when I get into a new artist or album.


Anytime I listen to this song or album I'm instantly teleported back to the days when the game was young and fresh to me, when I thought that wearing a physical shield as enhancement was vital to helping me live longer, and when everything about the game still held me in awe.

For those of you who have never had the privilege of watching or listening to me PvP (which is sad to say, none of my readership has!), I will let you all in on a little secret: I love to sing when I PvP. When I talk about PvP though, I'm not talking about arena or the smaller BGs. No, I like to sing while in the midst of the larger frays. Wintergrasp when it was still the place to play, Tol Barad when I can be bothered to lag through there, Alterac Valley...these are the places where I love to run about killing people while singing at the top of my lungs. Why? I haven't the slightest damn clue, but boy is it fun!


Now, I have several bands that I tend to listen to as I PvP and raid, far to many to bother listing here. However, I can tell you the base bands that I use for my Pandora stations. For raiding, I tend to like to use Puscifer as my starting point. PvP? Usually Skindred (above). Solo farming on a mellow night is often Dirty Heads. There are nights though when I'm just off doing my own thing that I'll just listen to certain songs via youtube, just because everything is right at my fingertips. You know, using search functions for your music library is sometimes difficult when you're working with dinosaur technologies after all. Below you'll find just a small handful of my all time favorite tunes/bands to WoW to.


Killswitch Engage (Boo embedding being disabled!)





3 comments:

  1. well here's one for you. This one often plays on pandora whenever my raid is going to fail on a pull. too bad i really like it though.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BG0oJD2Nic

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't listen to the music yet as my husband's still asleep down the hall but I just had to say what a jolt of nostalgia I just got.

    I'd forgotten how my little enhancement shaman bravely fought her way through Hellfire and Zangarmarsh, shield in hand!

    Oh, the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Path - Not the cursed song! : P

    @TotA - Hopefully there's something in there that you may like. What is it about us that made us level with shields in hand as enhancement? Was it because that they gave us one when we originally made them that ingrained the idea into our minds that we HAD to level with a shield? Silly, silly us.

    ReplyDelete